05 July 2011

4th of July

4thjuly1-0711
4thjuly2-0711
4thjuly3-0711
4thjuly4-0711
4thjuly5-0711
4thjuly6-0711
4thjuly8-0711
4thjuly7-0711

We weren't sure what to expect with the 4th of July this year, but it was absolutely the best. First thing we did was go to the Police Station to get ready for the village parade. C and Brian watched while H, Tina and I rode our bikes. I think more than half the village was in the parade, which ends up at a community center (4 blocks away) for ice cream and popcorn. We were going to head out to my parents later, but it was such a gorgeous day, we decided to leave early and go to the beach -- my favorite place to be during summer. The kids even went tubing around the lake, which Tina had never done before and absolutely loved. After an All-American dinner (hamburgers and corn on the cob), we went back to the lake to watch the fireworks. The last time I was on that lake for the fireworks, I was 17, getting ready to leave for my year abroad. And now, after 24 years (or whatever), I'm back again -- with my host-brother's daughter. That still blows me away, I think it's so cool. And the fireworks were just as great as I remembered them, if not better.