22 May 2010

Galena - Triathlon

As I mentioned before, in the Galena Triathlon, the swim to bike transition, and bike to run transition are in different locations. As a spectator, what that means, is basically you pick one or the other to watch at. This is the swim area -- taken during set up. We decided to stay at the second transition.
This is transition 1 -- swim to bike -- also during set up.
This is transition 2 -- the bike to run. Where we hung out.
Here comes Brian on the bike.
And the run. A typical sprint distance is a 5K. This run is a 4.3 mile run. Up and down big hills.
My sister (this is her above, coming in from the bike), asked if it was hard for me to watch the race without participating in it. My answer -- no way. I have done a couple tris myself. And, honestly, I'm signed up for a couple more this year too (yikes). But Galena is major. And I need to be a bit more dedicated to actually train in order to participate in something like this.
This is my sister, Christie, coming up to the finish line. She looks much happier than she did taking off on the run. Both she and Brian did an awesome job. I'm so proud. And inspired.
The knuckleheads think they are pretty great too!

3 comments:

Triathlon Training said...

I have never done a triathlon that had different transition locations. Does this make it more difficult to get a flow down on the course or did you even notice a difference?

Tee said...

Triathlon in Galena...hmmm...as I sit here reading out it with my coffee cup in hand, comfortably perched on my couch on Sunday morning, it makes my legs hurt just thinking about it!

Angela said...

@Tee - I absolutely agree. It's a rough course for those of us not used to hilly terrain.

@Triathlon Training - From what I understand, it really doesn't affect the flow of the course. But it does take a bit of a shift in thinking regarding transition set-up.