31 May 2010

Memorial Day Weekend -- The Food

I'm not sure what it was, but I kind of couldn't wait to eat (and drink) my weekend away. It felt so good to be home, and fresh produce is just everywhere right now. Here's some of the highlights. Saturday, lunch was a tuna, shrimp, tomatillo and avocado ceviche (with sangria).

Saturday night, we had dinner with friends, and I brought over a caprese salad (which I could really eat every day in the summer) with micro green purple basil which we got from the farmer's market from the Tiny Greens stand. I'm in heaven.

The next day, I whipped up a big batch of Bircher Muesli so we could have it for breakfast this week. Here's the recipe I used -- it's really good. Even H enjoyed it.

Sunday we were invited to a BBQ, so I made some Strawberry Hand Pies to bring along. We have been going through a huge container of strawberries every few days. Cannot get enough of them.

Memorial Day was the indoor BBQ. It was comfortable and casual. My friend had mentioned she made this recipe last week, and I couldn't wait to try it -- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp and Arugula Salad with Pickled Onions, and Balsamic Reduction. Yum. It turned out to be a perfect addition to the meal. (The Pimm's Cups were pretty good too, I might add.)

And finally, we finished our weekend, with a very yummy Chocolate Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream. Can't think of a better ending to a fantastic (and tasty) weekend.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I love that I got to taste 50% of these beautiful dishes!