14 August 2011

German-American Day

germamday6-0811germamday1-0811
germamday3-0811
germamday4-0811
germamday5-0811
germamday7-0811
germamday8-0811

My grandparents immigrated to the United State from Germany. Once they became citizens, my grandfather worked as a civilian for the U.S. Army in Germany. Which is where my mom was raised. I grew up going to Carl Schurz Park, listening to the old men and ladies speaking German and watching them play cards. One day a year, they open the park up to the public for German-American Day. And today, for the first time in years, we went. We met up with my sister Christie, Tim and Jake. We ate, drank, swam, and watched a parade. It a really special place, and even after so many years, it was great to see that it hasn't changed much at all.

No comments: