13 April 2011

I Used to Like to Draw

iusedtodraw-0411

One of the best things about moving is rediscovering items you might not have looked at in a long, long time. We still have many boxes to go through. But over the weekend, Brian and I found our portfolios, which was a blast (now, if I could just find my wedding dress which I can't find anywhere....). Over the years, Brian has given me sketch books and pencils, hoping to inspire me to draw. I just never really feel like I have time for it. And if I do pick up a pencil, I'm frustrated because I'm so out of practice and put it down after ten minutes. But you know what? Once upon a time, I drew. And I liked it! When I went to college, I was practical -- business major with a double specialization in International Business and Marketing. As soon as I graduated, I started taking photography classes and eventually enrolled at Columbia College for awhile, which is the first time I had ever taken real art class since elementary school. Sadly, I only took five classes. It was expensive and very time consuming, and I just I didn't have an end goal in mind. I have never picked up a sketch book since (same goes for sculpture really -- I loved 3D and multi-media work and have never done anything with it). I was also very critical of my work, but looking back, some of it wasn't half bad. Sadly, at this point, it was nearly half my lifetime ago. But for some reason, I'm getting a little inspired. You never know!

1 comment:

Emily Linne said...

I hope you find the time to draw or make something creative soon. I know exactly how you feel. I haven't done much of my own artwork since college and have trouble finding the time to paint or draw. The students inspire me a lot and I'm good at coming up with ideas to try with them. This summer I am taking a book arts class and a printmaking class, and can't wait!