26 May 2011

House Guests

birdnest-0511

When we told people we were moving and bought a new house, I always said it reminded me of living in a giant tree house when they asked what it was like. Guess I'm not the only one who thinks so. Look what I found yesterday right outside our hallway window. The one right outside our bedroom. The one we walk by all the time since it leads to the bathroom and the rest of the house. Oh boy. Brian suggested that we needed to knock it down since we won't be able to open that window, of course. But all I could think of was an uncomfortable mama bird ready to hatch eggs, working so hard to get her little nest built, and then having it destroyed moments before she was ready to lay her eggs. It just seems too cruel to me. This morning I saw the mama and papa helping each other. Pretty cute! I have since read, that sometimes the males help with the nest, but that the females are the main builders and pick the location. So it seems like we will have house guests for a month or so. I just hope the mama robin gets a bit more comfortable with us walking by her nest all the time, and stops flying away each time we walk by. P.S. Aren't nests amazing? I really don't get how those birds do it.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Birds seem to follow you:-) Remember the nest at your OP house. Awww...