29 June 2010

Taste of Chicago

I've got to admit -- the Taste of Chicago is just not very appealing to me. I really don't have any food issues, but dodging the crowds of people walking around while munching on turkey legs and buttered corn on the cob kind of grosses me out. However, I work not too far away, so we try to sneak out to the Taste for lunch once a year just to check it out.

I didn't think there were too many interesting options this year, but we did our best to scout some out. My co-workers all opted for an Irish Egg Roll (kind of like a Reuben egg roll), which looked good. I had "taste portions" of Gazpacho with Avocado and Chopped Chives from The Grill on the Alley, a Pork Filled Banana Dumpling from Sabor Latino (the Mini Jibarito Sandwich -- pork, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and cheese surrounded by two fried plantains and covered with oily garlic sauce -- that Moira, Ted and Kari looked even better), a Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Crepe from Shokolad Pastry and Café, and full-sized Rainbow Cone.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day, and really nice to be out. The city is totally alive right now -- I think I need to make a point of getting away from my desk more.

No comments: