23 June 2010

Storms

I grew up in Wisconsin, in a pretty rural area. I remember major storms and tornado warnings every summer. I would grab my sticker collection, favorite stuffed animals, the dog, and run to the basement for cover. Storms always have made me nervous (no comment, people who know me well.....). I've lived in the Chicago area for over sixteen years now, and I don't remember ever having to run for cover (ok, once). But the last week around our neighborhood has been really crazy. I got home from work just in time to avoid the rain. I heard that the weather was going to be pretty nasty, so drove our babysitter home. As soon as we got home, the the sirens started, so the boys and I (and the dog, appropriately named Storm) went for cover in the basement. Brian was on his way home, and said he's never driven in anything like it. We stayed put for a good 45 minutes. Fortunately, everything is fine and after dinner, a gorgeous rainbow appeared.

But right before it turned dark, the clouds turned a very strange shade of orange. (My photo doesn't do it any justice -- check out Marketing Mommy's images). I'm done with this weather. My parents called to make sure everything was alright, and H gave him the full run down of the weather. He also announced that he is going to be a storm chaser ("tornado chaser" as he called it) when he's older.

1 comment:

Stay-at-home-Dad said...

Was that not the coolest color of orange? The glow in the stair well was freaky!