24 February 2008

Papa's Birthday Weekend

It was my dad's birthday this weekend. Since Brian has been wanting a weekend alone to get some house stuff done, the boys and I thought it was a perfect one to go up to Wisconsin and visit. So H, C, Storm and I all piled into the car and drove up for the weekend.

Gulliver's Travels - Model Railroad Show was at the Domes (Mitchell Park Conservatory). I hadn't been there since I moved to Chicago 14 years ago. But any time there is warmth and plants in the middle of winter, it's like a mini vacation as far as I'm concerned. My nephew was a little bored, but C left kicking and screaming. They loved it.













We came back, and my sister and her family came over for dinner. Of course, we had cake for the birthday boy. I don't think he got to blow out one single candle.

The next morning, we went for breakfast at The Lumber Inn. Always just plain-ole'-good home-cooked breakfast. Brian couldn't believe we went there without him.


Next, we relaxed ....

then we went for an "adventure walk" in the woods. My parents live surrounded by a forest, and "adventure walks" are always a fun thing to do winter, spring, summer and fall. This time, we were looking for deer and rabbit tracks. (We did get to see seven deer come up to the feeder when we were inside. I always love that.)

Even Storm had a blast. He loves just being able to run free. It was a great weekend for all of us.

No comments: