15 July 2012

Day Trip to Madison

madison1-0712
madison2-0712
madison3-0712
madison5-0712
madison6-0712
madison7-0712
madison8-0712

Oh Madison! I always forget what a cool city you are. I actually can't even remember the last time I visited Madison. But we've been wanting to make a trip there for a long time, and finally got around to it. The main goal was the Dane County Farmers' Market, which we've heard nothing but incredible things about. It was smaller and moved down the street this week due to an art fair, but we still scored some amazing things. Like zucchini blossoms for $2 a huge bunch! And spicy cheese bread with was absolutely addicting. The art fair had some really great pieces as well. Unfortunately, the 95 degree heat and crazy crowds made the boys (and me) a bit irritable and claustrophobic so we didn't really get to look around too much. We also stopped in the capitol. H had just been for his 4th grade field trip, but it's always an impressive place to visit. And then we dragged the boys over to the Union Terrace so we could show them where Brian & I met. Actually, we had met briefly the week before the Terrace, but this is where Brian got my phone number and the rest is history. (He lived in Chicago, me in Milwaukee, but he was in a band that was playing in Madison that night). I'm not so sure the boys were impressed, but it was fun for us as we come upon our 13th anniversary in a couple months. Finally, our visit would not have been complete without going to Fromagination. All the hype over this place was definitely right on. It was amazing. And we picked up a few different cheeses -- all made in Wisconsin of course -- all of which were amazing. On the way back from Madison, we dropped the boys off at my parent's house where they are spending the next couple days. Then our friends Jim and Jennie from Chicago came over. We sampled our cheeses, and went to Lake Park Bistro. Brian and I had been wanting to try it forever, and I'm so glad we did. It was a really great dinner.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

By far the best farmer's market in the midwest. We went every weekend when we lived there.

And, did you know, Brandon and I got engaged at the Art Fair on the Square? July, 1992. Always a special place for us. Glad you enjoyed Madison!!

Penny said...

I agree....Madison as THE best farmer's market, doesn't it!!!! So fun!