25 January 2011

Missing You


Since I've known Brian, we've gone through periods where he was gone a lot. When we met, he was in a band. They eventually got signed by a record label and toured around the U.S. They'd be on the road quite a bit. I think the longest stint was six weeks. Fast forward several years to his most recent job. Everyone in his company traveled, and it seemed like he was gone all the time. I know it could have been a lot worse, but let's just say, it really throws a curve ball in the daily routines you try to establish. Especially with kids. And the strange thing was, because he would be gone about a week at a time, as excited we were to be reunited, there was always a couple day readjustment period for everyone. I'm speaking for myself, but it's not easy to run the show alone, then suddenly have someone else in the mix. Let's face it -- even though the goal is to be on the same page as much as possible, we don't always handle situations the same way.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining at all. Being the girlfriend of a band member was really fun. But I was also really glad when it was over too. Being able to travel on accumulated miles was great! And Brian had travel perks up the wazoo. But I'm happy he doesn't have to hop on an airplane as much. This new phase is kind of interesting. It's not easy being a single parent during the week. But I actually think it's easier on us then Brian. We've got each other and are in our familiar place. He's staying at my parents house. And they aren't even there. I think it must be kind of lonely. Yesterday Brian sent me this photo, and below it wrote: lost in translation .... Poor guy. Judging by the look of his groceries, I'm thinking he might be missing my cooking too. Let's just say, we all cannot wait to be back together.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Tell Brian he can plan on dinner at our house at least once a week! I will make Scott make sure it happens.

Mel said...

:o)

Penny said...

Awww, that was sweet! BTW, what's "Chobani"?