06 January 2011

Catching Up with Megan

zambmeg1-111
zambmeg2-111

Meet Megan. She is a friend of mine from many, many years ago. If you were at our wedding, you may recall that she is the one with the beautiful voice who sang for us. I'll never forget it. She and Melissa came over the night before our wedding for a really fun little sleep-over, watching Father of the Bride and eating cheese and crackers. The three of us even had a little catering side business together for a while. But then we all decided that wasn't for Megan and me, and Melissa thankfully took her skills to a insane new level (don't get me wrong, Melissa was always a culinary genius, far exceeding our skills, by far -- I was pretty good at reconciling the bank statements).

Anyhow, like it happens to many over the years, we just lost touch. The last time we ran into her was in 2004 when I had just had C and we were at Bar Louie in Bucktown. He was probably crying. And that was that. Last year, Melissa told me she and Megan were Facebook friends, and she was now living in Zambia. Excuse me, what? So I immediately found her, and it was true -- Megan had been living in Zambia for three years and happier than ever.

We've been in touch several times over the year. Like the time she wrote me to tell me she was jogging in Zambia when it started raining and she flagged down a car who happened to be Americans and who knew Brian and me. True story. Talk about a small world. Honestly, I may have met these guys before, but Brian really was the one to know them. The company he used to work for started a non-profit called World Bicycle Relief based out of Zambia. It was a couple of the guys who work for that organization who live there. Anyhow, still pretty amazing. When I found out Megan was going to be in the US for three months this year, I asked if we could get together, and I was so excited when she said could. We had a great dinner, and awesome conversation. Let me tell you, the things that have happened, and the things she has done in the past seven years is absolutely amazing. Later in the evening, Melissa came over and the three of us got to hang out together for a bit. Megan leaves again next week, but it felt so good to see her. Have a safe journey back home Megan! (To read some of the story Megan told, click here.)

1 comment:

Mel said...

This reunion was mind blowing to me in the best way.