09 April 2008

Trout

Since we've had kids, we really try to make dinner a nightly event celebrating us as a family (no more sitting in front of the TV).  It usually consists of us wrangling C to sit still, or telling H to put his legs down, and honestly, it is very frustrating -- but I really do think it should be an important part of the day and will pay off in the end.   

When I make dinner for the family, I try to keep every one's likes and dislikes in mind -- I do realize that part of the group is a 3-year-old and a 6-year-old.  But unless I make something really spicy (H is slightly sensitive to "heat" and I can't believe he's my kid), I never make a separate meal for the just because H or C doesn't like something.  If they don't like it (after one try), they don't have to eat it, but they know the next meal they will get is breakfast.  If that's the only option, believe me, they usually do find at least a part of the meal they like.  Anyhow, I've made things I thought for sure they would love, but they don't.  And, I've made things I thought they might not like, but do.  

Last night, I made Trout with Haricots Verts and Almonds.  I thought they'd hate it.  But H has been acting as my little sous chef lately, and is proud of every dish he sets the table, so he thought it was the best thing in the world.  And even C, who normally doesn't eat a full meal, gobbled it up, didn't leave his seat and asked for more!  Maybe it was because I told them the fish guy at Whole Foods had to cut the head off, or maybe it was the skin left on, but I couldn't believe how much they liked it.  

In Cookie magazine last month, one mom made 30 new recipes -- this was one of them.  The full list is available here.

No comments: