24 April 2008

Art in Our House -- Round 3

When Brian and I were about to celebrate our 5th anniversary, I was due with C at any moment. Turns out C was born a couple weeks before our anniversary -- but needless to say, we were still out of sorts by the time our anniversary came. I think we had take out sushi for dinner. Anyhow, I did plan ahead a little, and at the time, worked with an amazing artist named Eli. I commissioned him to do a portrait for Brian, and this is how it turned out:

Brian and Angela by Eulalio Fabie de Silva

It's fairly large (about 3.5' wide), hangs above our fireplace. What's really cool, is Eli had taken photos I put together to create it -- so it's a collage of some special parts of our lives. Brian's drum kit, Brian in a cafe in Berlin (also where the Creme de Cacao is from) and me under a shade umbrella at our friend's beautiful wedding in Sonoma. Since it was essentially a gift for Brian, I wanted him to be the center point, but I think it turned out very balanced. Eli worked on this for months, and I never saw the progress. It definitely exceeded my expectations.

(Part three of the Art in Our House Series: Favorite Artwork -- Wedding Gifts and From the Street of NY)

No comments: