05 August 2013

Round Three

bunniesagain1-0813
bunniesagain2-0813
bunniesagain3-0813

This is the third bunny nest we found this summer, and let me just say, I am not too happy about it. Don't get me wrong, I think they are absolutely adorable. And besides the big hole the leave in our yard, they haven't been destructive. No, I don't mind bunnies because any of that. The problem is, the big giant dog who's yard this is, and trying to keep him away from the nests! These bunnies are a huge responsibility!

Storm really has done a good job at leaving the nests be over the course of the summer. But today, curiosity got the best of him. I turned my head for a second and his nose was deep in the rabbit hole. When I ran up to him, I saw two of the babies had been tossed from the nest. I have a feeling he used his paws to move the bedding away and flung them aside. I don't think he bit them. I immediately went to put them back and noticed one of them had two pretty big open wounds. They were not punctures from teeth -- it was more like the skin was scrapped off. The bunnies are only a couple days old, so I ended up calling the Wisconsin Humane Society Wildlife Rehabilitation clinic who recommend we bring any injured bunnies in. After checking them all, it looks like one of the others had a little scrape behind it's ear, but it wasn't took big, and I thought it would be safer leaving it in the nest. Chances of survival for an injured cottontail are not great -- even by a professional. But I have a feeling the poor little thing would have had insects crawling all over it and eating it alive if we left it. He never would have made it, and I hope his chances are at least a little better at the clinic. It's just so sad!

No comments: