18 July 2010

Racine Half Ironman

Brian and I got up bright and early again this weekend for the Racine Half Ironman -- Brian's first Half Ironman ever!
(Bike staging and transition area) This is the first year this event was run by the Ironman organization. Brian and I each did Sprint distances at last year's event, but that was not an option this year, so he decided to just go for it and do the big one. I decided to watch from the side line. I admit -- I was a bit nervous for him. He's been training a little, but nothing like he's done in the past. And a half ironman is quite the event.

(Preparing for the swim) The swim is 1.2 miles in frigid Lake Michigan.

And a very sandy beach finish to even get to the transition area (this is timed as part of the swim). You can see Brian (in the red, way in the back) making his way to his bike.

The bike is a 56 mile course. This was the first athlete to come in. As you can see, he took quite a tumble as he approached the dismount area. I thought all was ok, but unfortunately, I just checked the times, and it looked like he didn't even get to do the run. How sad!

The final leg of the race consists of a 13.1 mile run. By this point in the day, it was blazing hot. Here Craig Alexander, winner of the Racine Half Ironman. He finished with a time of 03:48:56 -- pretty amazing. But then, again, he's kind of on a role -- he's won the Ironman World Championships for two years in a row.

Here comes Brian, who, I'm very happy and proud to report, finished with a time of 6:12:36. I know this was not an easy race for him, and I cannot even fathom the idea of doing this type of event myself. Great job Brian!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Good for Brian! I was worried about him too, but I was pretty sure he was crazy enough to get it done! Way to go!!

anne said...

Way to go Brian! Will definitely show Chris this bog - something for him to aspire to! :)