25 January 2009

Skiing at Cascade




For the past couple of years, we've been talking about getting H on skies. So a few weeks back, my sister emailed me at said there was going to be German Fest at one of the ski hills. We ended up deciding to go to a more local hill, come home and make some sort of German meal. Well, the temperature was below zero, so my sister and her family backed out -- but still agreed to make dinner. We packed up the boys, and headed to Cascade Mountain. Since our children don't listen to us at all, we decided to put them in ski school. The instructors were great, and both boys did awesome. Cascade has a learning hill with a "magic carpet" for beginners. The highlight of the day was taking H up the big bunny hill in the chair lift and watching him go down the entire way without falling (C was crabby and nearly asleep at this point). It was my first time on skies in about 20 years too, and I had a total blast. (Ever since college, I've been snowboarding instead of skiing, but the last experience left me trembling. It was Park City with our friends. The mountains were big, Brian was impatient, and it hurt a lot more than before when I fell.) I'm glad I made the decision to switch back, because it was awesome and I can't wait to go again.

We came home, took a sauna at my parents (nice, right?) then went over to my sister's for homemade German fare. It was a great night.

No comments: