06 June 2013

Prentice


Prentice Women's Hospital, Chicago Illinois. Both our boys were born here. The new Prentice was built in 2007, leaving this one vacant. While I have to admit, from what I saw, the new hospital is pretty impressive, there was something about the old building that I absolutely love. It was completed in 1975 by Bertrand Goldberg, best known for Marina City. Unfortunately, it recently lost it's historical landmark status and will be demolished, making way for a new modern research center. Or something like that. Besides it being a "modern treasure," I'm just not sure I understand how a building not even 40 years old, and that was at one time considered modern itself, can just be wiped out. It makes me sad.
(Photo courtesy of Save Prentice.)

1 comment:

Mel said...

I totally agree Ang...it is such a shame. The Marina City display at the Art Institute was profound because of the way the photographer capture the lives of the people who live there and I think of Prentice the same way. So many Chi-town babies have been born in that building! I say save it.