17 March 2011

Cupcakes and Fire Trucks

stpattiesday1-0311
Hope everyone's having a great St. Patty's Day. I'm not a lick of Irish, so never really did the St. Patrick's Day thing. But now-a-days, we all can be found dressed in green and doing the jig. (Not really, on the jig part). It's turned into quite a big deal. The kids had fun looking for leprechauns and gold coins. I don't think any were found, but C did set up a couple booby traps at his after-school program, which they let him keep them up for the night. Brian's up in Wisconsin for his birthday. Kind of a bummer (for us -- not him, I'm sure). At least it's not Taipei, where's he's been the last couple years on this very special day. To celebrate, I picked up some cupcakes from the Oak Park Bakery. These are for you, Babe! (Don't worry, we saved one for you.) But before the cupcakes, there was a bit of excitement on our block...

gasleak2-0311

Yes, there's our house right on the corner. A gas leak! Never a dull moment, I tell ya. At first, we were just told about it and given the choice to stay or leave the house. But then, everyone on our side of the street was told not to go in our houses. The gas leak was up the block. And I have to say, the firemen, police and even gas company were very quick to respond. We were displaced for over a hour, but personally? I'd rather be safe than sorry. You always wonder what you'd bring in case of emergency. Well, I grabbed my laptop and hard drive, the kids and dog. C wouldn't leave house without his blanket. And H, just kept saying he should have grabbed his homework. So strange.

No comments: