02 October 2010

Arts & Crafts in Oak Park

housewalk1-1010

This morning, Melissa picked me up bright and early to take us to our shift as "interpreters" for Pleasant Homes: A Tour of Oak Park Arts & Crafts Interiors, benefiting the Pleasant Home. Our friend, Andrew, of Study LLC, was the house captain for the John L. Simmons House, designed by E. E. Roberts in 1912. It was a pretty remarkable house to be in. After our shift (Melissa was a docent rock star, by the way) we got to visit a couple of the others on tour:

housewalk2-1010
Charles S. Meacham Residence, Thornton Herr, 1910

housewalk3-1010
John Meier Residence, Postle & Fischer, 1915

Then we both had to leave and go to kid's soccer games. It was quite an amazing opportunity to be inside some of these homes, and I sure would have liked to have seen the others. Here's a house that wasn't on the walk -- but we parked right outside of it. Check out the roof! Amazing.

housewalk4-1010

2 comments:

Tee said...

I LOVE that house with the crazy roof! Every time I drive by it, I think it belongs in a fairy tale set in deep in the woods

Mel said...

I feel silly, but I really love speaking out loud like that! Thanks for the props and for going!!