21 September 2010

Memories

stufffromme-0910

When my parents visited this weekend, they brought a box filled with stuff of mine. Mostly artwork, writing projects, cards I made them (something I did for a long time), and so on, from nursery school through middle school. For fun, I would put together little recipe books and illustrate them. Or draw about things that reminded me of Christmas. There was some pretty funny stuff in this box. And some was actually pretty good. The boys, especially H, got a huge kick out of it and loved seeing what I made when I was his age.

Something else that was in that box were my report cards. I'm one of those people who really needed to work hard in school for pretty average grades. It just didn't come easy for me. But I forgot how average some of those grades really were. Especially in middle school. I don't remember ever getting a C -- and there they were. About 4 in one semester. I must have been devastated. But I really didn't remember getting them, so I guess I've moved on. I definitely learned something though -- H and I are pretty much the same person when it comes to school. He is so conscientious and such a hard worker. But his report cards tend to read like mine did. I struggled with reading -- as noted in some of the comments -- and it's something he definitely needs to work at all the time as well. I love reading, and so does H. It's just something doesn't quite click when it comes to the testing. I also did horrible in social studies. What the...? And from what H said, it's not his favorite subject either. Then there math. Loved. It. It's something I didn't have too many problems with, and something he likes doing as well. Let's just hope he doesn't get another trait of mine -- not wanting to participate in discussions. I was so shy, that I absolutely hated raising my hand. So far I haven't seen that one on his report cards -- but I was surprised that they already had made it onto mine in 2nd grade. It was very interesting.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all of this stuff (thanks Mom & Dad), but it's been really fun going through it.

1 comment:

DAD said...

We were happy to "hand it over". Would like to see Brain's box of goodies...bet he wasn't the perfect child he claims to be.