06 September 2009

My 40th Birthday

Today, is my 40th birthday. That just seems crazy! But let me tell you about yesterday.

Penny and I had appointments at Parto Naderi for massage or facials and manicures/pedicures (I had the facial -- figured my 40-year-old skin needed it -- and bright red nails). It was nice to hang out and get pampered. Even though Penny has an 8-week-old baby and I kept worrying about her nursing situation. Anyhow, we ended up taking our time a bit. When we came back, I was going to take a shower, put on some make-up and dress up a bit -- we were going to go out for dinner later. Penny had called Chris, to mention she was on her way. She said he was at our house checking out our new TV so she was going to stop by for a few minutes. Honestly, I just said something along the lines of "what dorks," but it is totally something they would do. I walked in, and C and M were laying on the sofa watching TV. So I sat there talking to them ... for awhile. When finally Penny said something like "what is that over there?" I looked up, and our house was filled with friends and family from near and far. I absolutely couldn't believe it.

I'm not a big fan of being the center of attention, but I've got to say, it was a great night. I'm not sure if this is something I should be proud of, but my friends are great liars. I had no idea any of this was going on. Penny got me out of the house without any question that something was going on. Chris totally helped Brian out with liquor store and Costco runs. Melissa put together an amazing Asian-inspired spread for my "Good Fortune at Forty" party. C and Brian picked up the cake together, and while C did spill the beans about the cake, I had no idea it was from Bittersweet -- where Brian and my wedding cake was from. And Brian ... my amazing Brian. I don't even know what to say about him. He pulled off a great party. I have no idea how he did it, but he did, and it was incredible. Thank you to everyone. It was an unforgettable evening, and I'm just so lucky. Here's a few of the guests -- wish I could have gotten everyone:

So let's talk about today. I woke up with a massive headache, but it's good now. My mother-in-law, my sister and my niece all spent the night. After chatting with my German host-sister on Skype, we headed over to The Depot for breakfast, and ran into the Elsmo's and my friend Ed and his son, who had to the party last night from Milwaukee and stayed with Leif & Melissa. That was fun. Then we got back and the kids bobbed for apples. H figured it out with the goggles, I think. We plan to lay low and relax. It's going to be the perfect day.


4 comments:

Mel said...

What a wonderful evening! I don't know about you, but that Depot breakfast hit the spot!!! Thanks to B for letting me be a part of your special day. Much love to you!

Penny said...

Your skin is marvelous, darling!! I'm so happy that you were actually surprised. Honestly, I didn't think we would be able to pull this one off. I enjoyed every minute of our pampering and the fabulous party. Thanks for letting me be a part of your special day. We are the lucky ones to have you as a friend. Happy 40 Ang!

kswen said...

And you don't look a day over 25. Honestly. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Ang...Mom and I obviously missed a good party with GREAT friends. Looks like a fun weekend. Congrats to Brian for pulling off the surprise.

Love Dad