04 May 2012

Milwaukee Art Museum

mam1-0512
mam2-0512
????? (forgot to write it down)

mam3-0512
Nancy, 1968

mam5-0512
mam9-0512
The Green House, Murnau, 1911
mam8-0512
Street at Schöneberg City Park, 1912-13

mam4-0512
Dandelion, 1970 & Untitled, 1970

mam6-0512
Homage to the Square-Early Rising, 1961
Josef Albers (I'm a big fan of his wife, Anni's, work too)
mam7-0512
Paysage (Landscape), 1952

I've mentioned before, that one of my favorite places in the world is the Milwaukee Art Museum. Despite the fact that we are members, I haven't been since summer. When the boys went back to school in the fall, one thing on my to-do list was to visit the museum. By myself. Do you think that ever happened? Of course not. So the beginning of this week, I told myself that today would be the day I went there. I can't remember the last time I've wandered the museum by myself, and I left wondering why I don't do it more. It's beyond inspiring, and kind of my happy place. The museum has an excellent collection, ranging from a mummy coffin dating 500-250 BC, to current works. But my favorite pieces, by far, are the photorealism paintings, their collection contemporary artwork and German Expressionism pieces. I honestly think I could live in the Mrs. Harry L. Bradley Collection wing. I also caught the last few days of the Accidental Genius exhibit, which was quite inspirational, featuring self-taught artists. Some of them didn't even start painting until 41 or in their 70s. Amazing. I only spent a couple hours there, but wish I could go back tomorrow. Honestly, it was an excellent day in so many ways.

1 comment:

Ali said...

I'm totally embarrassed that I have never been....