23 October 2008

About Me ... The Other Side

Since we talked about my Dad's side of the family (minus the Polish and English bits I know nothing about -- I hear that tends to happen when you are a little Italian), it's only fair we touch upon my Mom's.

My Oma (Grandmother) and Opa (Grandfather) immigrated from Germany. Supposedly, my Oma was brought over as a marriage prospect. It didn't work out, but she and my Opa remained friends with the man and the wife he ultimately chose. Oma and Opa became U.S. citizens, and Opa worked for the U.S. government in the military -- stationed in Germany. So my mom, her twin sister and brother grew up oversees on American Army bases, but very close by their relatives in southern Deutschland. (Stark family, please correct me if I'm wrong on this stuff).

I don't own any family heirlooms from the German side yet, but I do own these beer mugs. When my Mom, sister and I visited my Mom's relatives five years ago, we stopped by her cousin's brewery and hotel (founded in 1783) in Memmelsdorf -- Brauerei Höhn, and they gave us these (we also got a tour of the brewery). Mind you, I'm not a big beer lover, but I swear, this is the best you will ever have. So next time you are in the area, look them up.

No comments: