24 February 2012

White to Gold

goldtesting1-0212
goldtesting2-0212

For the past couple months the boys (and I, and occasionally Brian) have been taking tae kwon do classes. Honestly, it's not something I ever thought in a million years I'd be doing. But C was interested in it, then H said he wanted to try it and here we are. What I'm finding, is it's really been great for all of us. For C, it's a great way to release some energy and practice focusing. For H, it's about building confidence and speaking up. For me, its about focus, balance, flexibility and cross training. I don't ache when I run anymore (and I've been running longer distances). My mind doesn't wander quite so much. And it's just been really fun to do something with the boys. Let's put it this way -- I'd much rather be at the dojo than sitting in front of our TV at night. Ironically, it was C who got us there, but H & I are the ones enjoying it most. Last night the boys had their first testing -- from white belt to yellow belt. They rocked it. Tomorrow, it's my turn. Wish me luck!

[Update: My testing was today and I did it. Board broke, moving on. Gold belt here I come.]

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Das ist toll! Ich fahre dieses Wochenende auf einen Lehrgang für Aikido Kinder- und Jugendtrainer. Kampfkunst ist für die ganze Familie großartig.