26 December 2010

Christmas Feast

xmasday0-1210
Last year for Christmas, the Elsmo's came over for dinner. We had such a great time (at least what we remembered -- we had the brilliant idea of doing wine pairings with the different courses), and couldn't wait to spend the holidays with them again this year. We take turns making the courses. There are little lulls between them, which is honestly, part of the fun. There's just something about prolonging this dinner that I love.
xmasday2-1210
The first course was Mel's Savory Pancakes (you want to click this link). The kids had a mini stack of strawberry & whipped cream pancakes.

xmasday3-1210
Next, I made a creamy polenta with three cheeses and shiitake mushrooms.

xmasday4-1210
Then I made salmon smash.

xmasday5-1210
Melissa then made an Indian inspired braised lamb shank. She served it with homemade naan, saag, dahl, and raita. A. maz. ing.

xmasday1-1210
As a finale, I had made zuccotta (a homemade sponge cake filled with whipped cream, raspberries, toasted hazelnuts and toffee). It was probably the prettiest dessert I've ever made, and pretty insane -- even if I did forget to top it with the vanilla bean cream anglaise. No one seemed to complain.

xmasday6-1210

Let me put it this way though -- nothing we ate was bad. We all agreed, however, that the lamb was our favorite dish (surprise, surprise -- Melissa is truly an amazing chef). I had split all the portions in half, but I wish I would have been better at portion control and cut them down even more. We were all so crazy full. Still, it was very worth it. Thanks Elsmo's, for spending the holidays with our little family, and for such a great evening.

1 comment:

Mel said...

This was just an amazing evening and among the highlights of my entire year. xo.