17 December 2009

Cookies: Peppermint Snowballs

I have no idea what got into me. I'm not a cookie maker. I've never felt the need to bake cookies during the holidays. Once -- I think it was our first year in our first house -- I made some cookies. That was a long time ago. For some reason, this year I decided to tackle not one, not two, but a few different cookies recipes. I'm half way done.

Peppermint Snowballs
1 cup butter, softened
½ cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Cream butter, gradually adding powdered sugar; mix in vanilla. Blend in flour; mix well. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Make a deep well in center of each ball with a handle of a wooden spoon. Fill with ¼ teaspoon of Filling Shape scant ¼ teaspoonful of dough into a flat round and place on top of filling; press to seal. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1-2 minutes; then roll warm cookies in Coating. Make about 3-1/2 dozen.

Filling
2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon milk
½ cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candy
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
1 drop red food coloring

Combine cream cheese and milk; blend in sugar gradually. Stir in candy, extract and food coloring.

Coating
¼ cup powdered sugar
½ cup finely crushed peppermint candy

Combine ingredients.

No comments: