15 December 2007

Miracle on State Street

So last night, Brian and I got out. We don't get out much, and last night, we did. 101.9 FM hosts Miracle on State Street, with a portion of the proceeds benefitting La Rabida Children's Hospital. I guess this is year number 9, but it's the first we went to. Jim, my boss, and one of his friends came too because ... Duran Duran played. That's right, Duran Duran. They are still around. Here's the best thing -- the event was at the legendary Chicago Theatre, and honestly, I don't really think there's a bad seat in the house. We were in the balcony, so close enough that we could see them, yet far enough away that they still looked really hot (at least to me, not so much to Brian). My John is getting bald and a receding hairline, but I'm no spring chicken either, so that's ok. Actually, I felt pretty good about myself after going to this concert. Let's just say that in a room filled with upper-30, low 40s, age hasn't been good to some people. On to the concert. It was good, it was fun. While Simon had lots of effects on his microphone, his voice sounded great and he hit all the notes. We also really enjoyed the opening acts, who were all very different from each other. The night started with Sara Bareilles. As she says on her website, many people compare her to Nora Jones and Fiona Apple, and she's right. After her was Pat Monahan, the guy from Train. He's got an amazing voice, sang one song without a mic, which was awesome, and even had some little girls sing with him which was very cute. And that, was our night out. (P.S. Photo courtesy of Duran Duran's website).

No comments: