13 August 2009

Italy - Day 7

Trevi Fountain during the day

The Spanish Steps - The busy streets of Rome

Arch of Constantine

The Roman Forum

The Pantheon

The Colosseum

View from our room -- Inside the room

Trevi Fountain during the night

We've made it to the last day. *sigh* Since we'd be flying out the next day, we decided to spend our final night in Rome. I know this may seem strange, but both Brian and I were not necessarily looking forward to it. Last time I was there (backpacking), we couldn't find a place to stay and ended up at a campground in a trailer just outside the city. That, and I found it simply overwhelming. I was still a few years off from moving to Chicago -- maybe I just wasn't used to the big city (I did live in Milwaukee and near Hamburg by this point though). I don't know.

Anyhow, we started our morning in Capri -- caught the bus to the funicular, and then to the ferry. We took the ferry jet to Naples (where while drinking coffee, we had a German couple sit by us and rattle off in German -- and when I answered back in their mother tongue, they didn't even flinch -- which I thought was a strange presumption being that we were in Naples. But at least I did get to use my German.) and a cab to the train. Once we were in Rome, we took the subway to our hotel (Hotel Panda -- again, recommended by The Frigs, and perfect -- we had a 2-story room with private bath). We were tired, but there was so much I wanted to see. Our hotel was right near the Spanish Steps so was an easy walk to the Trevi Fountain. We also saw the Roman Forum, Colosseum, Arch of Constantine and the Pantheon. People -- I'm totally and completely in love with this city. It was amazing. The evening was just as gorgeous -- we tossed a coin into the Trevi Fountain to ensure our return, and lingered on the Spanish Steps until it was time to sleep. It was the perfect end to our Italian vacation.

The End.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Ang---I'm sad that these posts will end. I've enjoyed every story, pic and video. So much fun!!! Thanks!

Angela said...

Thanks for all the tips along the way! Glad I wasn't boring you with my stories. I wish I had more too.