22 October 2008

Family Table

My great grandfather immigrated from Romans di Varmo, Italy (a small town near Udine) in the 1900s. His family were cabinet makers -- they are still in the wood-working business today, in the same small town in Italy. My parents visited them a couple years ago. We went as a family when I was in high school (23 years ago). It's so awesome to be able to experience where your family is from (my mom, sister and I went to Germany a few years back to visit her aunts, uncles and cousins too -- another great trip).

This is our kitchen table, where we eat almost every single meal at home. It was built by my great-great grandfather Angelo when he was living in Iowa. Apparently my great grandfather came over, then sponsored his parents. A feature we never use but is so innovative, is that it has built-in wings, and the table can double in size. Ironically, I think this table spent more time in family garages than in kitchens (hence the paint spills I love so much), but it's found a home with us.

No comments: